Monday, August 30, 2010

A Social Experiment

A few months back, I read a blog about this couple who conducted a month-long experiment to see if they could survive on $1/day (per person) on food. I don't want to do what they did (subsisting on Top Ramen) but I am curious to see how frugally we can live. Part of this social experiment is because we got bombarded with a lot of expenses over the past two or three months. Between tuition, weddings (5 this summer + 1 requiring travel), routine car maintenance, property taxes, unexpected expenses etc etc...we really need to tighten the belt.

So...beginning tomorrow, I will account for every last cent that is expended over the course of 30 days, excluding our usual mortgage/utilities. The goal is to spend as little as possible without sacrificing on our usual standard of health. This means no Top Ramen and yes to organic chicken. On the other hand, I have a well-stocked pantry and freezer and a mini-vegetable garden so I would love to go through this entire month without having to purchase any groceries.

Alright...let the savings begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment