Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Simple Things in Life

Baking bread is one of the most satisfying and simplest pleasures in life but I used to be so scared to try it. I don't know why I boldly venture into quiches, tarts, and even home made puff pastry without a second thought but the idea of baking bread has me cowering in a corner. Once, when I was in middle school, I baked bread from a recipe on the back of a flour packet. It was under baked, a little dense, but otherwise decent. Still...it would be over over ten years later before I dared try it again.

A while ago, I read an article on "no knead bread" from the New York Times. It was suppose to be virtually fool proof but it required high quality bakeware that I didn't own at the time. Now, thanks to a dear friend who blessed us with a Le Creuset dutch oven, I have the requisite vessel. Two weeks ago, I anxiously proofed the dough overnight and hovered around it as it baked. To my great joy and delight, it was a beautiful round of rustic artisanal bread! It was crusty, chewy, with nice hole structure. I used just a few ingredients: a mix of whole wheat and unbleached all purpose flour, some yeast, water, and love. Supermarket bread, in contrast, have dozens of ingredients. Even high end bread (not Wonder bread) have chemicals in it to keep it fresh. Homemade bread is so much fresher and healthier for you. The whole process of baking something as fundamental as bread is soothing and appealing. It's like I'm transported to a simpler time and place.

Emboldened by my rustic loaf, I tried a classic sandwich loaf from King Arthur flours. I didn't have milk but I did have buttermilk leftover from a red velvet cake so I used that instead. I think I underbaked this one and it was more cakey and muffin-like in texture than springy, chewy, bread. Taste wise, it was good but I will try this recipe next time.



What I have realized is that good bread making requires very good equipment. The bread above was baked in Chicago Metallic Commercial loaf pans. About $11/ea at Bed Bath and Beyond. Next time I get a 20% coupon in the mail, 2 of these beauties will be mine. Yes, two, because bread freezes well and I'm afraid to tamper with the recipe to make it yield fewer servings. Baking is a science and I am but a poor Humanities graduate.

Below are next on my to buy list!

Pullman pan with lid for perfectly squared edges. You know, like bread from Asian bakeries.


Baking stone, for better heat distribution and retention.


Good bulk yeast-cheaper than supermarket packets and guaranteed to rise.


Bench scraper- to remove dough without tearing gluten.


(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment