Sunday, April 18, 2010

Yay for Propagation!

A few weeks ago, I brought back a spider plant I purchased 10+ years ago to my new house. It was very gray, scraggly, and small. I took it apart to repot and discovered that it was actually 6 plants stuck inside a small pot! I have since separated them and repotted them. They are now a vibrant green and flourishing rapidly. Spider plants are hardy but after 10 years, it needed some serious nutrients.

Yesterday, I brought home a very ill looking spider plant from my mom's house to nurse it back to health. It is also at least 10 years old, possibly 15, and also grayed, wimpy, and stunted. I separated them and put them into 5 pots. In less than 24 hours, the gray cast is gone and it's almost fully vibrant green again! I'm looking forward to when my mom sees them hehe. She'll be so surprised to see 5 healthy plants!

While I was at it, I also brought back my 10 year old Christmas catcus and started propagating most of my other houseplants. It was a big project and I managed to double almost all of them. I ran out of pots for the tiny little shoots and baby plants towards the end with random plants left here and there. Then it hit me, I had mini 2 inch pots from the flowers I bought for my hanging planter! They were the perfect size for my much coveted terrariums!

And here you have it! A mini peace lilly, a shoot of a mother-in-law's tongue, and a darling patch of african violets.

No comments:

Post a Comment