Friday, January 7, 2011

French Chic

Often I feel like I I make decisions without looking at the grand scheme of things...a very linear way of thinking, if you will. When we furnished our house, we made some quick decisions because we felt pressured to get some things right away. For instance, our dining table is a continual sore spot for me...we spent about $1100 on a set we didn't love but felt compelled to get because we had to hose a dinner for family soon after our wedding (and that family was flying back shortly). In hindsight, I wish we had gotten something at a local thriftstore or off Craigslist. There's some amazing things to be found if one is patient! Solid hardwood, beautiful hand turned legs, intricate detail...all that is lost in our "new" world of MFD and particle board. It was also really difficult, initially, to get past the ickyness factor of "old" or "used" furniture. I think it's an Asian thing to prefer things new: newly built house, new cars, new furniture...everything new. Maybe it has to do with superstition (bad jujus inhabiting the old?) but even when family homes are no longer in use, it sits there locked up in permanent abandonment. Once, my sister asked if we could just open up the family home and deed it to a poor family but my mother said that no one would want to inhabit it, and such a thing is just not done.

So anyway..,.yes, it took quite a lot for me to actually want used furniture. Not all things are good used: for instance, no mattresses. No sofas either. Maybe a chair if I can rip out the old cushion and completely clean the frame and redo it myself. I'm perfectly fine with solid wood pieces though. Recently, I took an old cabinet frame off Craigslist (purchased for $20) and turned it into a new liquor cabinet/landing table.



Add in some decorations and a IKEA frame hack, and we have this lovely Parisian inspired vinette!



Lately, I have realized that my style preference leans on the whimsical and feminine. It's completely opposite of hubby's preference for Swedish modernity but we're finding a balance. I know my taste will go out of fashion eventually so I don't want to invest in expensive pieces. Here's where thrift stores and old furniture comes in handy! I recently found this lovely provincial dresser that would be perfect for our guest room but it was sold before I got to it :(


Then, I found THIS today. Love. This. The perfect match to the first little dresser! The price is not bad at all ($150) but it doesn't fit the scale or personality of the house but wouldn't it be an awesome TV stand? (not to mention buffet/sofa table). Maybe if we didn't already get our classic style TV stand, I would have been able to hack this. I mean seriously, how great is the design and all those dressers? Cut out a hole in the back to let the electric components vent and use the rest of the cabinets to stash everything from remotes, DVDs, toys, kiddie stuff, anything. Love it--just wish we had the right place to put this!




Anyway...those are just some of the lovely finds waiting to be found at your neighborhood thriftstore:) The hunt is part of the fun so happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment