Friday, January 28, 2011

Paris under $5k

What does a neophyte traveler do in order to prep for a most-anticipated vacation? Research!! Although the internet a wealth of information, I like to start with tried and true travel guides such as the the all-popular Frommer's Guide to Paris and Rick Steves' Paris 2011. These were great launching pads for my research.

After identifying the region we wanted to be in and the places we wanted to see, I was able to set up a realistic budget snapshot for our trip. We wanted to keep the cost low but I don't think we can do this trip satisfactorily below $4k. Below is the breakdown:

1. Plane Tickets x 2= $2050
2. Lodging (x 8 nights)= $880-$1440
3. Food ($100USD/day) = $800
4. Local Transportation (Metro, all zones+Versailles)= $103
5. 4 day Museum Pass= $136.81
6. MISC (day trips, excursions, shopping)=$500
Grand Total: $4469.81 and up (depending on lodging choice)

The biggest variant so far is our lodging and miscellaneous expenses. I've traveled enough to know that the misc buffer needs to stay. That leaves lodging. Thanks to the travel guides, I narrowed down our choice of arrondissements to either the Latin Quarter (5th), Marais (4th), or the St. Germain area (6th). All three choices are located in central areas--the Latin Quarter is livelier and probably more fun for us. The loft we like looks like Linguini's loft (from Ratatouille!) with big, lovely windows, a fully stocked kitchen, a sitting area, and a loft. It is also the most expensive of the bunch. (Other less expensive 5th arrondissement rentals are teeny 200sq ft studios with convertible sofa beds).

Marais is a bit quieter but in the most beautiful historic part of Paris. It is across the Seine from the Latin Quarter and probably not the easiest to get back to at night. Still..it's very beautiful and picturesque. I think I will like the quiet charm of the area. It's in the middle price range and I think we're most likely going to stay here.

The St. Germain area is right next to the Latin Quarter but it is more artsy and bohemian and is the least expensive of the three. It's also centrally located so I don't mind staying here either. I just need to do some more research to find out which area is the most convenient.

We're also keeping an eye out on sales before we book so it'll be another month or so before we finalize our itinerary. In the meantime, I need to start working on my French! I've heard great things about this: Rosetta Stone V4 TOTALe: French Level 1
Has anyone ever tried it?

No comments:

Post a Comment