Saturday, February 12, 2011

1:30am and all is clear

As I begin this entry, the hubs is snoozing away and I am concurrently waiting for the laundry to finish washing and cake to finish baking. Why am I doing housework at this hour of the day you ask? It's because I am nutters. Juuust kidding. (ok, perhaps just a little). Why the cake? Well, tomorrow, I am hosting a fancy pants murder mystery dinner for hubster's birthday and I'm trying to get as much done in preparation for tomorrow as possible. Why the laundry? Because I clean as I cook and in the middle of sanitizing the counters, I accidentally dropped some bleach water onto my favorite jeans. It is twirling in the laundry and I hope my quick action will prevent it from bleaching unsightly spots on it. (Memo to self--never wear one's favorite jeans to do housework.)

I have prepped almost everything by now. It was supposed to be an easy bash for me to host... it's a 50's themed bash so there was going to be lots of easy comfort food such as meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I even ordered dessert-some fancy flavored macarons--rather than attempting to make my own. However, due to an unfortunate turn of events, the baker had to cancel today and here I am, at 1:35am, waiting for the last layer of my last minute cake to finish baking.

I suppose I could have picked up a random cake from the supermarket tomorrow but I have a habit of making everything more difficult than it needs to be, such as driving the extra 30 minutes to the local Whole Foods-esque market to buy vegetarian-fed, local pasture-raised, hormone-free meat. My conscience wouldn't let me buy Costco beef. And did I really need to get Palestinian limes for my gin & tonics? yep...that was a must-have too. Had I more time, I would have also gone to the Eastern European meat market near our house to pick up some rosewater syrup to make rose martinis. Ooh...wouldn't a bit of rose simple syrup sprayed on the cake taste good too? I love roses.

Ok, I'm off-tangent now and the cake is done. Good night, farewell, I'm off to go to sleeeep. Adieu, adieu, to you and you and youuuuuu...goood-night!

No comments:

Post a Comment