Monday, August 15, 2011

Upcycling

Things have been shifting and changing the household lately.  We moved in over two years ago and we haven't really touched the house since then.  Now that we have settled in, we have a better of idea of our habits and we are working on re-doing parts of the house.  We have 4 bedrooms, all of which are good-sized, but they aren't being maximized so we went to work planning and rearranging existing furniture.

The first project we did was to repaint a horrible bright blue bedroom (think "My Little Pony blue") into a much more flattering and neutral pale grey.  We are also in the process of taking apart the study and moving one of the two desks out to make a sewing/crafting area for me in the grey bedroom. We have plans to turn the study into a more functional library/playroom/guest room down the road.  By rearranging the study, we re-use existing stuff to complete other areas of the house.  We hung curtains and added a large pendant light for the dining room.  It is currently an IKEA white paper lantern but I saw this wonderful DIY hack for making a hemp pendant lamp that I want to try:





I either want to make one gigantic one or maybe 3 medium sized orbs hung in a row.  They look like West Elm's Abaca pendant but at a fraction of the price:

I can see it being a fun craft project with kids so I'll probably attempt this on a weekend when I have my niece over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment