Thursday, March 4, 2010

Peacock-boo

In my quest to find more information about upholstery and reupholstery in the (sad) event that we do not keep the lovely raspberry fabric on our chairs, I came across The Whole 9 Yards. I've passed by this building several times but I have never ventured in. This store will most likely charge more than Fabric Depot (yay for 30% off coupons!) but I think this store will have more unusual prints. Just look at this beautiful Vienna print!



It is rather expensive at $27.99/yard. To cover an accent chair, I will probably need 5 yards of fabric so it will cost $140 just for the material. This doesn't include the cost of labor either. I found this lovely peacock chair on their website using a mix of the Vienna and other fabrics & trims. I admit, this chair is not for the faint of heart! It teeters on a precarious ledge between full-blown awesomeness and scary tackiness. Truly, it tips the scale. It's the type of piece that will incite immediate and irrevocable love or aversion. It cannot be helped! That is particularly why I like it. This chair cost $550 for the upholstery job & fabric, I would presume.



It is too bad that custom upholstery is so expensive! But it truly is an art form, a true trade of a craftsman. Considering the hours one probably spends on this, I can understand the cost but it will be a while (if ever) we actually end up going this route. Still, I think I will stop by and take a look around for further inspiration.

The Whole 9 Yards
1820 E. Burnside
Portland, OR 97214

No comments:

Post a Comment