Monday, March 1, 2010

Toast to Toxic-Free Living

I've always been rather health conscious but it wasn't until after I went to college that I became more aware of the environment around me. I rarely eat junk food/fast food or drink soda or juices and that has helped some, but that is only part of it. I also started using more organic products such as shampoos and skin care but usually return to mainstream brands because they do work better. It's been years since but now many mainstream brands are much better at using lower toxic ingredients. It is still sad because while the products are less toxic, the vast majority of them still have carcinogenic compounds that can cause everything from cancer to reproductive abnormalities. I've been using Cosmetic Database for several years now to check on the danger levels of my most commonly used products. It has made me change my ways. For instance, my beloved Nars blush registered a toxicity level NINE. This is something that I use daily and I love it, but after this runs out, I will switch to a healthier brand, like Tarte. I should probably dump it right now but I'm nearly out anyway.

Another thing I have done to improve the environment around me is to add toxin-filtering houseplants to our home. NASA conducted an air quality test with various plants and found that major improvements can be found just by keeping a plant or two in each room! Since we got married, we have purchased new furniture, carpeting, and have done multiple home improvement projects that sadly added loads of toxins into our air. For instance, most furniture has formaldehyde in it while new carpeting is loaded with Benzene. Even though we purchased a more expensive fabric that isn't sprayed, it is still full of chemicals. Our newly painted rooms don't really help with the air quality either.

Over the weekend, we went to the mecca of gardening centers, "Al's Gardening Center" in Sherwood and stocked up on several plants. The sales person there was very knowledgeable and we were careful to buy hardy plants that propagate well. Although I initially wanted a boston fern, she advised against it because it sheds considerably. We have since spent a considerable sum adding plants into our home...the heftiest being a 6 ft tall ficus tree. My favorite purchase so far is the "snake plant" aka "mother-in-law's tongue" because it is so hardy and propagates easily. From one $10 plant, I can reproduce it multiple times. Other plants I am propagating include: spider plants, golden pathos, and aloe vera. Hopefully, from the investments I made, I can fill our home with plants.


Below are some of the NASA recommended houseplants.

1 Areca palm
2 Lady palm
3 Bamboo palm
4 Rubber plant F
5 Dracaena “Janet Craig”
6 English ivy
7 Dwarf date palm
8 Ficus Alii
9 Boston fern
10 Peace lily
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment