Saturday, October 2, 2010

October Day 2

Hubsters had an early client meeting today and I had work to catch up on so we didn't go out today except for a short 2mile run/hike. For breakfast, I had oatmeal while hubsters fended for himself and emerged with a vitamin. Hrm.

Lunch was better: Husband made stir-fried green beans, leftover galbi, and some leftover rice and soy sauce chicken for lunch. I ate random stuff here and there including beef jerky (from Mother-in-law), coffee, and peanut butter. Oh so bad.

During our run today, we smelled the wonderful aroma of stew emanating from a house as we passed by...husband picked up the rich scent of tomatoes, spices, meat, and garlic. By the time we got home, husband was craving something Italian. Although he wanted pizza, I didn't have any leftover dough. Luckily, our pantry revealed one last jar of spaghetti sauce--our back up emergency pasta sauce--and I was able to make lasagna for dinner.

We used our leftover fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh zucchini from our garden. I sliced the zucchini into long thin strips and salted them to remove excess water. Add to that a simple green salad and we had dinner! So simple but so good! The best part is that there is plenty for leftovers tomorrow. We. are. set.


It is such a shame that this year's growing season is so poor. Despite dropping $300 in supplies for our garden, we didn't even come close to recouping our expenditure. I have 5 tomato plants and I don't even have enough to make one batch of fresh marinara sauce. Last year, my mom's single plant was prolific enough to yield 5 quarts of tomato sauce! I shall try again next summer and hope for the best.

Total Cost of Food: $0
Estimated Cost of Food: $2 (spaghetti sauce) + 3.25 (cheese) + $1 (lasagna) = $6.25

Tonight, I have a batch of pizza dough rising on the counter, ready to be frozen for another meal on another day. I'm also considering making a batch of cinnamon rolls hehe. It's so needlessly decadent but oh so good. Hubster's has a shoot tomorrow so it would be nice to prep some breakfast for him. Alright...rolls it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment