Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 1

I suppose I should share how much we spent in August as a reference point. August was a little skewed because I had friends stay with us for 5 days and we did a lot of driving and eating out. Nevertheless...it might be helpful to see what an atypically expensive month looks like for us.

August Expenses

Groceries: $289.00
Dining out: $300.00
Total on Food: $589.00

This breaks down to about $9.50/day per person out of 31 days. I wonder how much the average person spends on food each day.

In fact, if you read this, please leave a comment and let me know how much you spend on food on average each day!! If you don't know for sure, just tell me how much you spent on food today.


$9.50 doesn't seem too shabby for all meals, snacks, drinks, and tips in a day but I know we could easily trim this down some more. Part of it is not having enough time to cook--the other part is...once you get used to dining out, you kind of just want to continue dining out because it is more fun and generally yummier. The downside, of course, is the health and cleanliness of the food and the cost. Eating one's own cooking is most definitely a better choice all around.

For breakfast today, we had homemade granola bars. Snack involved tangerines and string cheese for both of us.

This is what I packed for hubby's lunch today:


Cucumber Salad with fish sauce


Leftover Indian-style Curry, chicken, and brown rice


As for me, something a little lighter. Leftover chicken, lettuce, and cucumber made its way into Vietnamese-style salad rolls.


For dinner today, I ate random stuff such as bread & cucumber with rou song. It is so good! I was too hungry to wait for dinner to cook so I ate it first. Husband got the good stuff: Korean-style seafood tofu soup (made with yesterday's chicken stock). Coincidentally, this will also be his lunch tomorrow, along with the requisite tangerines and string cheese.



My lunch tomorrow is Japanese-style sushi with cucumber, avocado, rou song, and a bit of rice. Hehe, I like how everything I make is a bastardized version of an ethnic cuisine. I have to make do with what I have, right? Plus, it is a great way of eating the same ingredients without getting tired of it. I'm not sure what we will do for dinner tomorrow, but we haven't had dinner with my parents for a few weeks now. I am going to give them a call tomorrow to see if we can come over--if not, we'll get creative tomorrow!

Total on Food for today: $0
Total of Anything Outside the Realm of necessities: $0

*Necessities include: all school related expenses (books/insurance/tuition), all utilities/mortgage

No comments:

Post a Comment