Thursday, September 16, 2010

Food Wish List

Day 15 is now behind me and I cannot help my habit of looking at new grocery ads each week to see what is on sale. This week, my favorite market happens to have plenty of items that I like on sale. If I were going to go grocery shopping as normal, I would buy the following:

Vegetables
1. Japanese white yams @ $1.29/lb. This is a slightly more expensive and luxurious treat but I'd probably get 4 yams. I like to throw them in the rice cooker to steam. It is so yummy and nutritious that I don't mind spending money on it.
2. Organic apples @ $.99lb. Probably 5lbs. We go through apples quickly and organic apples are rarely <$1lb.
Estimated Cost: $5+$5 = $10

Meat
1. Fresh manila clams @ $3.99/lb. One pound has about 20 clams so we could easily make a meal of $3.99.
2. Locally raised, drug-free, vegetarian-fed chicken wings @ $1.29/lb. Generally, it comes in a 2lb pack. I like to stock up on this because my guests tend to like chicken wings. Probably 3 pack around $3.50/ea.
Estimated Cost: $3.99+$10= $14.00

Treats
1. Duck @ $1.99lb. One duck probably weighs 4lbs so this baby would cost at least $8. It's a pain to roast duck yet I can't help but loving it! It reminds me of happy childhood days watching my Dad go through the laborious process of making roast duck.
2. Jiajiang sauce for the hubby. $2.99/jar
Estimated Cost: $9+2.99= $12.00

This little shopping excursion would cost us about $36.00. I don't need any of it except for the apples. The yams would be a very nice to have. The meat, especially the duck, I can do without. The chicken wings are always on sale every other week for $1.29lb so if I miss it this week, I will have other opportunities. The clams are very enticing though...I haven't had clams in months and making them at home is so much healthier and cheaper than ordering it at a restaurant. Clams are also very nutritious and packed with iron and protein. I think I will go ahead and splurge for a pound.

So there you have it...my normal weekly shopping excursion would probably cost me about $36.00 but by being more conscientious, I think I will probably be good with $9. Possibly $13 if I get some yams.

*edit* I went to the grocery store today and bout $43 worth of groceries:

1. 1 "good" chicken. Instead of calling it free range/ant0biotic-free/vegetarian blah blah, I'm just going to refer to it as "good" from now on. If it is "good", it is all of the above. In the case of the above, it is also corn-free and wild foraging. $2.49lb @ 4lbs = $9.96.

2. Organic Honeycrisp apples. These are double the price of the other ones but they supposedly taste better. I got 5 apples just to try. $1.99/lb = $5.50.

3. Organic Bartlett pears. $.99/lb. I got 4 pears at about $4.

4. Organic peanut butter--normal price is $6/jar on sale for $3.99. 4 jars = $16.

5. Organic yogurt-huge tub = $2.99

6. Coconut Water Kefir. Normally, we get milk kefir but this was on sale and I've always been curious about the coconut variety. $3.99.

Total spent on food:
$43

Yes, it is considerably more than what I anticipated haha. The peanut butter really threw us over the top but I love peanut butter and good peanut butter is rarely on sale. Hopefully it will last us a while. What is the take home lesson from this Kids?

Don't go shopping when you're hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment