Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 4

Sorry! Not a single picture to share today. For breakfast, I made the girls blueberry pancakes. Hubster and I had our requisite oatmeal porridge with blueberries. Hubby had a lunchtime outing and I think he had a margherita pizza while I made spaghetti bolognese over organic whole wheat pasta for the children. The bolognese was a slow process involving organic tomatoes, onions, carrots, zucchini, garlic, seasoned beef, and my secret ingredient: a bit of duck liver pate. I simmered the sauce until the veggies were tender and then I blended it with an immersion blender to make the sauce smooth. The meat was added back to the sauce after the blending.

Then....dinner came. I had a vague notion that Hubby's friends were stopping by en route to the airport today but soon after they arrived, I realized that we should all have grab dinner together. Time was a wee tight so I suggested that we stay in and I'd make dinner. Good thing I made a giant vat of sauce--it was simple to make another package of pasta, some warm bread, and some of that sweet corn we picked up yesterday. I was afraid we didn't have enough food so I asked Hubsters to pick up some lettuce for a salad. I asked for 1-2 heads...he came back with 4.

Total spent on food today: $4 for 4 heads of lettuce.
Estimated cost of food for 7 hungry people: $2 (2 heads lettuce) + $1.25 (avocado) + $.50 (1 onion) + 5 corn ($.50) + $1 (homemade sourdough bread) + $2 (pasta) + $10 (bolognese sauce) = $17.25/7 = $2.46/PP.

I might be off by a few dollars but even so...I think it is safe to say that dinner cost less than $3 a person for today. Not bad for grass fed beef & organic tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment