Monday, September 20, 2010

Deal of the Day

The joys of home ownership has its ebbs and flows...it is fun decorating and playing house but it is not so fun managing it on a budget. Currently, I am in love with crimsons, rubies, and scarlets. I very much want to make/buy/source some new pillows to warm up our space for the winter. There is also plenty of room for decorations on the walls and I'd like to find or create some artwork for the walls. There are two expanses of wall that could use some attention. The main one is our upstairs book. It is wide enough to accommodate my childhood upright piano, one large table, bookshelves, or a "time out area" some day if our kiddies are naughty. Since I only intend to birth perfectly well-behaved children, the latter obviously will not necessary. (That and because I foresee the naughty monkeys climbing out and creating mayhem and injuries.)

So anyway...we have this lovely deep-set nook that is currently uninhabited. It looks odd left vacant but I don't want to just fill it up with randomness. The converted one of our bedrooms into the office so we don't really need another desk in the hallway. The piano is a perfect fit but hauling it up and down stairs is a big hassle. Plus, I don't know if it is normal to have a piano upstairs. I think it'd be a better fit downstairs in our dining room.

That leaves a bookcase. It'll be more decorative than functional. Will it even be a good use of space? We'd probably get the set of 2 in the first picture because it is a wee more economical and the size fits more symmetrically in the nook.


$192 (free shipping + 3% cashback)


$259 (free shipping + 3% cashback)

It is rather useless though. Other than displaying a few of my more favorite books and random pictures/plants, there isn't much use for the thing. I would love to get a sewing machine and turn it into a crafting corner. Would that be a good use of space? I could move my current desk out there and do a few simple and inexpensive additions to make it more craft & study friendly. The upside to this is that the hubster's will have more room in the office. The extra space in the office can be used to accommodate additional guests if we ever need the 4th bedroom.





Obviously, I won't make it quite as kitschy and cutesy. It'll definitely double as a respectably stylish and useful space. What do you think? Leaning bookshelves or decorated craft/study space?

No comments:

Post a Comment