Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 9

So exhausted today...I had to be out the door early today so we didn't have time for a real breakfast. It's fine...we're both kind of sick of oatmeal by now. Wednesdays are my longest days (13 full hours) so I didn't have time to cook dinner nor did I have energy to care about the next day's lunch when I returned home at 10:30pm. Good thing we still had some leftovers so lunch was taken care of today but dinner was another story.

We got off early today to pick up the car from the shop and got back home before 6pm. I had some defrosted chicken from earlier in the week but wasn't quite sure what to do with it. We have been craving fried chicken ever since we watched "Man vs. Food" on the Travel Channel so I decided to make some yian xu ji (Taiwanese snack food of crispy fried chicken bits tossed with spices and basil). To make our meal healthier, I tiredly started cutting fresh corn kernels to make some seafood & corn chowder. It has been damp lately and we are both fighting off colds so I wanted to make warm or hot foods. I got out some greens and rehydrated some shitake mushrooms intending to braise it Chinese style but about five minutes of listless preparation, I decided to screw it. I turned to an equally tired hubby and said, "Howzabout some ramyun?" to which he replied, "I was craving that on the way home today!"

Happily energized now, I made Hubsters in charge of making the ramyun while I finished frying the chicken. I love cooking in my Le Creuset because it retains heat so well. I was able to fry the chicken in less than 10 minutes when it normally takes me double that time in a wok. Hmmmm...yian xu ji. What is it about crispy, salty, sweet, spicy fried snacks that makes it so darn satisfying?



Do I feel a wee guilty for eating stove top ramen and fried chicken for dinner with nary a vegetable in sight? Only for 2 seconds haha. It was darn good and satisfied our tired and cold bodies and souls.

Cost spent on food today: $0
Est. Cost of food: $4 (chicken) + $3.40 (2 packs of ramen) + $.80 (2 certified humane eggs) = $8.20.

No comments:

Post a Comment