Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 22

Dinner with the parents! Last night was Autumn Moon Festival so we went home for dinner. Even though I told my mom the night before that we were coming over, she didn't know for sure if we really would make it because I didn't answer my phone. (My batter died). In any case, she whipped up this deliciousness in one shake of a lamb's tail for us. I love parents.






Mother also hooked us up with fresh green beans and tomatoes from her garden. A few weeks ago, I asked my mom if the chickens from Asian markets were free range/antibotic free etc...although we suspect that they are due to their lean size, we aren't positive. A search online for the farm and packaging plant mysteriously yielded no results. I even looked up the USDA regs to decipher what various letters and numbers meant but to no avail. The chicken is a "product of USA" but I do not know if it was raised in the US or simply "processed" here. I do know, based on my understanding of the law, that even imported chickens must adhere to "the same" inspection guidelines as domestically raised chickens but I still don't know where that chicken came from. And I'm not sure that I want to eat "mystery" meat. I like knowing where my food comes from and that the animals are treated well.

So...after this chicken, I am going to go in with my sister-in-law to buy locally raised chickens from the farm. They are more expensive...about $16.50/ea, but it is well worth the peace of mind.

Anyway...total cost of food today: $0
Est. cost: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment