Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 21

We're going strong! We had random leftovers for lunch. Hubster's had leftovers from dinner while I came home early and made a sandwich of freshly baked bread with rou song. I also ate the last of our apples so I must venture forth to buy more fruit. Late last week, I bought an organic chicken and finally got around to cutting it up yesterday. I processed it into 8 pieces and took as much meat off the bones that I could before using the rest to make chicken stock. I always add a spoonful of apple cider vinegar into my broth because the acid is supposed to help leach out more minerals from the bones. I let the entire thing simmer for about 8 hours until it was reduced by half. After that, I skimmed off all the fat using a mini sieve specifically designed for that purpose.

Since I felt bad that the hubster's only got leftovers for lunch, I wanted to make sure his dinner was extra nutritious. For dinner, I made him shui jia mian using homemade dumplings (courtesy of Mama-in-law), pure chicken stock, and some leafy greens. I love making chicken stock. I prefer making chicken stock to any other kind of stock. I love it how it turns unappetizing bones and vegetable cast-offs into a golden amber liquid. Oh all that lovely quivering collagen makes me so happy! Anyway...le dinner.



Afterward, we went to sister-in-law's house for a Glee party. She made us fresh apple cake, hot out of the oven. It was so good!

Total spent on food: $0
Est. Cost of Food: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment