Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 8

Today was both a bad day and a good day. The bad was totally preventable, which makes me all sorts of upset but the good was very much a product of my own doing so it makes me all sorts of happy. In my profession, one must pass several tests in order to practice and pass I did! On the first one at least. I have more to come but climbing over this hill helps reaffirm my decision to quit a decent career in order to pursue this new one (which will leave me riddled with debt upon graduation).

Ahh finances. This relates back to my earlier bad. The bad is that my car headlights got bashed in last night. I do not want to go into the gory details of it but at least nothing worse happened. It could have been stolen, smashed some more, gutted, etc etc. Nevertheless, this will cost us an estimated $190 to replace. Le sigh. We received the car as gift but along with it came lots of overdue maintenance work. After comparing quotes, the estimated cost will be anywhere from $600-$900. But fix it we must because it was pretty much a ticking time bomb of a death trap. Brakes? gone. Transmission? Within an inch of it's life. Axles? Both to be replaced. This doesn't include the requisite fluid flushes etc etc. All in all...we are looking at probably $1000 in immediate repairs.

At that point, part of me wondered if it wasn't smarter to just sell the thing and get a new one. The current bluebook value of the car (based on mileage) is worth anywhere from $1800-$4000. No...not worth it right now. It is still better to stick it through and literally drive it to the ground for another 2-3 years before getting a new car.

Oh right...back to the experiment.

My meals today:
Breakfast: made oatmeal but proceeded to lose my appetite immediately upon receiving that dreaded phone call informing us of the headlight bashage so I didn't eat it.
Lunch: Still no appetite
Dinner: one bun and an apple and coffee.
*edit* I ended up buying a cup of split pea soup today (both the cheapest and the healthiest) for dinner because I obviously did not pack enough today to last me for 13 hours. I felt horribly guilty because I had SPENT MONEY BUYING FOOD but it is not good to starve. At least that was a good reminder that even when things come crashing down (or in our case, getting bashed), we should still remember to take care of one's basic needs. *end edit*

Husband's meals:
Breakfast: probably oatmeal
Lunch: leftovers
Dinner: leftovers

Total Food Expenses today: $2.95 (split pea soup)
Est. Cost of Food today: $.50 (apple) + soup = $3.45. Buns & leftovers previously accounted for.

Total expended on sheer stupidity: $190

No comments:

Post a Comment