Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 24, 25, 26

The weekend went by like a blur as usual.

Friday:
We had leftovers for lunch as usual but we came home and made chili together for dinner. We used homemade chicken stock, fresh tomatoes from my parents, and some grass-fed beef that I bought at the beginning of the month in anticipation for the experiment. It was enough for 5 large servings so husband ate that on Saturday as well.



Total Cost of Food: $11 (for the chicken)
*******

Saturday
My mom helped me buy a free range chicken from a Chinese market (the kind wit the head and feet still on) so on Saturday, I poached it, removed it from the broth, cut it up and soaked it in a soy sauce marinade. I put the bones back into the broth and let it simmer for a few more hours before cooling it and setting it aside. For lunch that Saturday, I ate an apple, chicken broth, and 2 pieces of chicken while hiubsters ate the leftover chili. Dinner was a potluck at my sister-in-law's house. I made chocolate chip brownies from previously purchased ingredients in my pantry. No pictures...but we ate very heartily.

Total Cost of food: $0
********

Sunday


My sister & her husband treated the family out to lunch on Sunday. No pictures. For some reason, neither of us had much of an appetite during lunch. For dinner, we treated my in-laws in celebration of hubster's promotion at work. They have a family tradition of treating the entire family out for dinner whenever someone gets a raise/promotion. We were really sick of Chinese food so we decided to treat them out to Korean BBQ. Yes, that dramatically raised our monthly food expenditure but it is a tradition so it must be done.




The food was fine but not nearly as good as it is in SoCal. The banchans here were a total disappointment and obviously geared for the American palate. The meat was good in flavor but some of the cuts were too thick. Thinner slices are better for grilling. For 7 people (6 adults +1 child), the meal came to $130 after 18% gratuity. We were all quite stuffed when we were done and there was still about 2lbs of cooked meat leftover. So really...we can still make another 4 meals per person out of that since there are 32 ounces in 2lbs and the recommended portion size of meat is 4 oz. It came to about $18.50/pp including tax but since we can get 8 more servings out of the leftovers, it comes out more to $9.00/per serving. Not bad but I have a feeling we shall be very sick of meat for a while.

Total Cost of Food: $130.00

No comments:

Post a Comment