Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 7

For breakfast...oatmeal again but I should mention that we soak our oatmeal overnight. One small rice cup of oatmeal is just the right amount for the two of us in the morning. Soaking it makes the oats creamier and easier to eat.

Lunch: Hubby got leftovers from dinner. I had an apple and a bun from yesterday. That obviously wasn't enough for me because I was starving by the time I got home and ate 3 more buns over the course of the evening. Ditto for hubby. Whoops. On the bright side, the buns were still decently soft.

Dinner: I felt inspired to make comfort food because of this crazy weather today so I made some hot, soothing Corn Chicken. I don't know what else to call it haha. It is fresh corn, zuchinni, onion, diced chicken (two thighs--from the fancy chicken I butchered earlier this week) and stir-fried it with some broth to make a creamy Chinese style casserole dish. As a side, I also stir-fried some jade beans and carrots. Doesn't look fancy--in fact, it looks down right cafeteria disgusting in this picture but imagine it all nice and colorful, like it was in real life. It was also hot and soothing with lots of sauce--perfect for a dark and stormy night.



Tomorrow's lunch shall be leftovers for the Hubby and for me as well except mine is served over shirataki noodles. Since I deboned the chicken thighs, I took that opportunity to make a quick chicken broth out of it by simmering it with some leftover onion tops, carrot peelings, bean ends, and corn cobs. The corn cobs made it distinctly sweet and corny but I can make great use out of it another time.

Total amount spent today: $0
Estimated cost of Dinner: $.25 (2.5 ears of corn) + $2 (2 chicken thighs @ $8/chicken that I cut into 8 pieces) + $.50 (est. cost for 2 cups rice) + $5.00 (2 packs of shirataki noodles) = $7.75.

This is enough for dinner and lunch AND a heaping serving of dinner for my brother (with his own pack of noodles). So really...if I hadn't delivered take-out to my brother tonight, that would have given us 2 extra servings making it a grand total of $1.29 per serving. We were in the 'hood so we thought he'd like a healthy and nutritious meal from his big sister.

I did not account for breakfast (just oatmeal), lunch (leftovers--already accounted for), or random extras from dinner because some were leftovers or fresh (and free!) from my momma's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment